BREASTFEEDING NEWS: Beijing announced earlier this week that it was considering a ban on infant milk formula advertising “in hopes of changing the country’s dire nursing statistics.”
Why? Their breastfeeding rates are abysmal. “Fewer than 16 percent of urban Chinese women exclusively breastfed their babies through the World Health Organization’s recommended period of six months. In rural China, the rates were higher — around 30 percent. But in both cases, they continue to decline.” [Read more on the Bloomberg View.]
Think we’re on top of it here in the US? Think again. The rate of exclusive breastfeeding at 6 months in the U.S. is a paltry 18.8%. (Read the CDC’s 2014 Breastfeeding report card to see where your state stands.)
According to the World Health Organization’s International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes, advertising of baby formula should already be banned. Beijing would just be following the code, doing their part to help reduce the negative effect of formula marketing Following a code that is already there doesn’t seem too hard.
When are we going to support moms instead of shaming them for nursing in public and not giving them the help the need when they ask for it? When are the formula companies going to really help struggling moms instead of sending them formula in the mail, telling them to wean at 9 months, and undermining their goals? When are we going to offer real maternity and paternity leave for parents so they can establish breastfeeding, support their partners, and get that irreplaceable bonding in during those first few months? We’re hurting our babies, our communities, the world, by not helping families.
Do you think Beijing should ban formula ads? Did you formula feed, breastfeed, or both? Do you think formula companies are sabotaging moms?
Join the conversation on Twitter, Facebook, or comment below.
- HOW TO REPORT UNETHICAL PROMOTION OF FORMULA, BOTTLES AND OTHER BREASTMILK SUBSTITUTES - PhD in Parenting
- Simulac’s shocking new formula ad – Paa.la
- Dr. Sears in Chinese Simulac Ad – FAKED! - Paa.la
- Dancing flash mob of breastfeeding moms in Shanghai mall - Paa.la
- Vintage Formula Ads – Paa.la
- What should I know about infant formula? – Kelly Mom
- Search my archives for breastfeeding support stories or recent nursing in public incidents.
- My interview in TIME - Paa.la
- Video: “Everybody’s Gotta Eat” – Free The Nipple PSA - Paa.la
- My Photo Shared on Huffington Post, marking the change of Facebook’s breastfeeding photo policy – Paa.la
- My Tandem Breastfeeding Portrait in Nurture ~ Natural Parenting Magazine – Paa.la
- My Portrait in WirbelWind, the LLL Magazine - Paa.la
- Breastfeeding Posters - Paa.la